Friday, February 25, 2022

73 Multiplication cards in 45 seconds - fast improves Math scores #educa...

In my last teaching job I was written up because during the extra time at the end of class I was helping students to improve their basic math speed and to improve their logic (something they didn't study at all in China).  My principal told me after writing me up in my disciplinary report that it doesn't matter if a student can do 5 multiplication problems in 5 seconds or 5 minutes, as long as they can do it, that is all that matters.  This is where I disagreed with him.  He only wanted me to teach what was in the syllabus and not care about speed or learning logic.

To me, being a great math student requires both (being able to do basic math instantly as well as understand logic).  Even if a student is not good at math, knowing the basic math will allow them more time to do the harder math problems.

Albert, who is 10 and learning to do these quickly, asked me how fast I could do it.  So, Albert recorded me doing my multiplication cards.
#education,#students,#learning,#mathematics,#math

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

NEW Online Private High School - 8th Post - Business Plan Continued

 The Business Plan goes SLOWLY.  So many details that have to be worked out. Then I have to figure out who to send it to.   A lot of work.  ...